Embedding a MediaSpace video in PowerPoint 2007
This hands-on guide will help you play a video that has been uploaded to MediaSpace inside a PowerPoint presentation. MediaSpace is a web storage area that can be accessed through D2L. Once you have uploaded your video, MediaSpace generates a small piece of text, also known as embed code. You can copy this embed code and use it to display a video in PowerPoint.
Before you begin:
· You must have an account setup in MediaSpace.
If you do not have an account, please contact Amy Mangrich (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· You must have a video already uploaded to MediaSpace.
Please see the helpsheet on “Uploading your video to MediaSpace”
1. Please log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu) using your ePanther ID and password. Go to the D2L course site for your class. In the upper navigation bar, click on the [MediaSpace] tab.
-OR- access MediaSpace directly at: https://uwsmedia.wisconsin.edu
2. Enter your UWM ePanther ID (your UWM email address without the @uwm.edu) for the [Username] and the [Password].
3. Click [Login].
Note: if you wish to change your password, contact Amy Mangrich (email@example.com).
4. Once logged in click [My Media].
5. You will see your video listed in your [Videos] menu. You will also see a large image of your video below your [Videos] menu. Click on the [Get Embed Code] tab located beneath the large video preview.
6. Click inside the [Embed Code:] box. The text (code) listed there will be highlighted. Copy the text so that it can be pasted into PowerPoint.
7. In PowerPoint, go to the [Developer] tab. If you do not see a tab called Developer, complete the following instructions:
a. Go to the [Office Button] and click on the [PowerPoint Options] button.
b. In the [Popular] section, check the [Show Developer Tab in the Ribbon] box and click [OK].
8. In the [Controls] section click on [More Controls] button.
9. In the [More Controls] window, select [Shockwave Flash Object].
10. Click [OK].
11. On the PowerPoint slide, draw a box to the size you would like your video to be displayed.
12. With the box selected, in the [Controls] section of the [Developer] tab, click on [Properties].
13. In the box next to [Movie], paste the embed code selected in step 5.
14. DELETE all the code EXCEPT the URL that follows [resources=]. The URL will begin with http://www.kaltura.com/index.php and end with a series of letters and numbers.
15. Close Properties window (by clicking the X in the top right corner).
(Note you may preview the video clip in [Slide Show] view in your PowerPoint.