1. From the Course Home page, click on [Grades]
2. Under “Grades Area,” click [Grades Settings]
3. Click on [Calculation Options]
4. Under “Grading System” choose “weighted” (if grade categories and items count as a percentage of the Final Grade) or choose “points” (where total points, not percentages, equal the Final Grade)
5. Skip down to “Grade Calculations” and choose “drop ungraded items”
6. Click on [Save]
Important Note: DO NOT select “Automatically keep final grades updated.” It has an adverse effect upon overall D2L response time. Instructors may update final grades at any time without using this option.
OPTIONAL: At the end of the semester, it is useful to change the “Grade Calculations” setting. Just click [Grades Settings > Calculation Options] and select “Treat ungraded items as 0.”
For help creating categories and grade items in your D2L Gradebook, please see the “Points Gradebook” or the “Weighted Gradebook” tutorial.